Sunday, April 7, 2013

Bubbies French Toast

My Bubbie (for those of you that don't know that translate to Grandmother in Yiddish) is a forever presence in my life and was such a force to be reckoned with while I was growing up. I have such fond memories of sitting with her in the kitchen while she cooked non stop for everyone that walked in the door. My Bubbie and Zaddie (Grandfather) came over from Poland after WWII. So in typical old world fashion the solution to everything is to cook and make you sit and eat. Eat till you can not eat anymore, then ask you 2 hrs later if you are hungry. One of my most favorite things was her version of french toast. I can close my eyes and still see me as a child sitting at that round table in her kitchen and smell it cooking. MMMM those kind of memories are always so delish!

So as I got older and started to have my own family I started to bring out the old recipes for my kids. Now it's a sure fire way to make sure everyone is here on a Sunday morning. Even people that do not live here and are just friends of the family show up for Bubbies French toast. I hope you and yours enjoy this as much as we do :)


Supplies needed:

 
  1.  1 loaf of your favourite bread (today I used a cranberry walnut loaf, but normally we use an egg bread)
  2. 3-5 eggs (It will depend on how large your loaf of bread is you can always start with 3 eggs and add more if needed)
  3. Ground Cinnamon to taste
  4. Ground Nutmeg to taste
  5. 1/2 cup Milk
  6. Splash of Vanilla
  7. 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
  8. Whisk
  9. Large mixing bowl
  10. Large Fry Pan

Steps:

  1. Crack eggs into mixing bowl









   

 2.  Add Milk









  

 3. Add Ground Cinnamon









  

4. Add Ground Nutmeg
 
    5. Add Vanilla
 
    6. Whisk together
 
 
 

    7. In large fry pan pan put 1/2 cup of Vegetable oil
 
 
    8. Turn burner on to Medium high heat and wait till it comes to temperature
 
 
    9. Dip sliced bread into egg mixture covering both sides
 
 
    10. Put coated bread into hot oil. (CAUTION it may splatter so best to use tongs!)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
 11. let cook on each side for about 2 min. or until golden brown
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   12. With tongs take out of pan and put on plate or cookie sheet with paper towel
 
 
 
   13.  Serve with your favorite toppings & enjoy :)
 





 

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I'm MANNAM cooking class chef Ah-Reum. I'm Korean. Nice to meet you. Your blog very interesting! I'll visit again. Have a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. I do hope you enjoy what is posted & what is to come :)

      Delete