Monday, April 8, 2013

It's a Party!! So who doesn't love cake?

 
 
 
5 Minute Chocolate Cake

I came about this one day while I was watching the Rachel Ray show and they were talking about great 5 min snacks. Well it just so happen it was cake day. Well that got my attention, mainly because my fabulous husband L-O-V-E-S cake. He and cake are on a first name basis. Cake is his go to for EVERYTHING! He will have cake at any time of day for any reason. Cake solves it all, if it didn’t, it just means you didn’t eat enough of it. So with that being said our children (which we have our very own football team of them or when it’s just half of them hubby calls them our soccer team ranging from teens to infant) are of the same likeminded ways as their dad. That my friend is a LOT of cake! So one would think I would just hop on over to the store and keep those freezer ones on hand. No such luck. You see we are a home of a vast variety of allergies and tastes. What one likes you could not get the other to even look at let alone put in their mouth. So this recipe intrigued me for the very reason I could customize it for each individual, and not spend my whole life in the kitchen making only cake for my lot.
 
BUT it gets even better!! I realized this makes the PERFECT gift as well. (I am all for easy gift ideas. As you may have guessed my family loves to give cake as gifts so ALL can have cake too. Marie Antoinette joked "Let them eat cake!” This statement lives true with us.) Just mix all the dry ingredients in a zippy bag place in desired gift mug with directions and wrap in clear gift wrap (which can all be purchased at your local dollar store.) So with that said this is what you need:

Supplies:
 
 
 
 
 


Coffee mug (I like to use my very large latte mug.)
4 tablespoons flour - make sure you measure it right
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons whisked egg - 1 egg is too much, 1 egg white is too eggy, 1 yolk is too dense, but 2 tbsp. is just right!
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
A splash of vanilla or other flavoring - try peppermint or cinnamon
For a fudgier version, omit egg!

 

Directions:

Spray mug with cooking spray to prevent sticking
Add all of the dry ingredients to the mug and mix.


Add the egg and combine well. It gets pretty pasty at this point.

Stir in milk and oil.




Add chocolate chips*
A splash of vanilla. Stir well.

*If you don't have chocolate chips, try a broken up candy bar - I can't stress how much this amps up the awesomeness of your cake. If you would like to have Lava cake, try a heaping tbsp. of Nutella. Just drop it into the middle! Mmmmmm!!

Microwave for 3 minutes in a 1000w oven, 2:30 if you want it a little gooier.




It will start to crown over the top of the mug. Don't panic! It will collapse once the heat stops.



Then Serve!! Can be served in the mug or tipped out on to a plate.
CAUTION will still be HOT so eat with care!







This cake is still good half an hour out of the oven. In fact, I think it gets better the longer it sits, but I can't speak to how it does after that, since there's never any left!

In my family we like to top it with real whipped cream or our favorite frozen desert (Ice cream or sorbet) depending on the mood (and in our family’s case allergies…). You can also split the batter into 2 smaller mugs and nuke them for 1:50 instead of 3:00.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment